Saturday, May 24, 2014

Dull Weather and Bright Work

Much to the disbelief of my BC relatives, after launching Exploits last weekend, we made an implusive trip to Ottawa to see family in the Nation's Capital. Admittedly, the motivation for the trip started with the knowledge that Joe Bonamassa was playing at the National Arts Centre. The highlight of the trip was definitely the time spent with family, who we don't see enough it seems.

The Joe Bonamassa show was an amazing 2 part show that featured an acoustic set followed by an electric set. The venue was equally impressive with its opera style balconies and plush seating. For an added treat, we spent the evening at the Swiss Hotel in downtown Ottawa, a short 10 minute walk from the NAC.

As I checked the weather back in good old Brule Point today, I reflected on how lucky I was to get 6 days of warm sunny weather in row last week to get the boat ready for the season. It’s nice to know that Exploits is sitting comfortably at the dock at BHYC and is ready to go.

I completely restored the brightwork, repainted the bottom, installed a new entertainment system and repaired the rudder. Altho, regarding the rudder repair, I had to eat a fair bit of humble pie since I was told how to fix it and ignored the advice. After reversing the mess I made, I followed the instructions given. I had my fill of humble pie that day!

I have a photo in my office of Exploits taken by a previous owner right after she was prepped for an eventual sale to the folks we bought her from. The boat looks great and I have always been envious of the brightwork in the photo. The latest photo suggests that Exploits might look as good, if not better this year. It obviously has made a difference given that several people have asked about the brightwork.



We were treated to hot summer like weather while we were in Ottawa, but like many areas, this spring has been painfully long. We are several weeks behind which has delayed garden work in addition to making the boat yard a quiet place. All the more reason for me to feel grateful for the weather I had last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment